Time to save the world again
Ever heard the term "tikkun olam"? Tikkun Olam is a concept in Judaism, roughly translated, it means saving the world. Last year, I decided that instead of sending holiday cards for Spring Insight, I would donate the money I set aside for that task to a charity you helped me choose. Based on your votes, I donated $250 to Rescue.org to send five girls in Afghanistan to school for a year. Let's do this again.
- Donate a tribe of goats. We will donate five females and one male to herding families facing drought. This tribe of goats can help women protect their income and strengthen their community.
- Send kids in conflict zones back to school. Our contribution will reopen a classroom in an area that has been impacted by conflict. We will outfit a classroom with chairs, tables, chalkboards and other necessary items to put a class back in session.
- Provide a start up loan for two women entrepreneurs in an impoverished country. Our loan will give two women the ability to start a business that will provide income to help feed, clothe and educate their children. As the loan is repaid that money will be used to provide new loans to other women.
- Make math fun for a DC school. This project (so close to Spring Insight Worldwide HQ) will give a teacher the tools she needs to bring the joy of math to her classroom. With a counting kit, a pattern learning center, addition games and tactile learning games, Amber G. can create an environment of joy around this basic skill these kids need.
- Provide clean water to a large family in Africa. In the US when we turn on our faucets clean water flows out. For 800 million people (wow,that is a shockingly horrible number), however, that is not the case. They have no access to clean, safe water. The dirty water they do have makes them sick. Our contribution will go toward building a well in Africa.
What do you think? Which is your favorite?